Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cookie

The other day at the grocery store an older woman, nicely dressed, pushing a cart and eating a cookie, said to me, “Excuse me.”

I answered, “Yes?”

She proceeded to tell me a joke about a cookie. I think it was a, what did the cookie say to whomever, joke. I am terrible at remembering jokes. The punch line was something like, I am all crumby.

I remember the joke was cute, and I did smile and laugh, so did she. And then she turned and went on her way.

I thought to myself. Why did she stop me? I passed her later in the same isle. She had not stopped anyone else. Did I look approachable? Maybe I just looked less angry or threatening than others. Is she lonely too?

I am wondering if I missed a chance to connect with someone. But I can not think of a single thing I would have felt comfortable saying to her other than, that was cute. Would that have been enough?

No comments: